
I have been trying to "do" my cultural encounters that I mentioned a few weeks ago. These are goals that Philip and I have made with the help of our field directors to intentionally make connections with people. One of my goals was to go to the market each week and buy fresh fruit and vegetables from the same vender. Last week I went and spoke in Russian while I bought my produce. This week I went back again. The lady recognized me and greeted me happily. She asked me how I was doing and I did the same. I told her that the tomatoes I bought from her were really good. I did pretty good asking for which foods I wanted to buy... (They bag all the fruit and I just tell her how much I want of each)...until the end when I decided to add that I wanted some bananas. She said something to me really fast and I thought she asked if I wanted just one banana. I said, no two. What she really asked me if I wanted 1 bundle of bananas. I said no, I want two...bundles. oops. I guess I will be making banana bread, banana muffins, and banana pancakes (which I just found a great recipe!) for the next few weeks!

Another one of my goals was to go to the local coffee shop and talk with a girl that I had met earlier this winter when we were here before. The girl's name is Allsue (well, that is how you pronounce it, I have no clue at the moment how it is spelled in Russian) and she works at the coffee shop. I was talking with her last year about me working at a coffee shop, Starbucks. Of course she knew what Startbucks was (who wouldn't!) and was interested. I decided to try to build a bridge with that by continuing to go in and talk with her, the best I can, while she is working. Last Friday, we all went in and I introduced her to Gwen, my new daughter I said. I said this all in Russian...then she said something to me in Russian. I got nervous, you know like you are all the sudden hot and sweat starts to gather at the back of your neck kind of nervous. There were a lot of people at the counter and I couldn't translate what she said fast enough in my mind. So, I stumbled over a few words and then said goodbye. Wheww...how is that for making a good impression!

(Here is Gwen enjoying her first time at the Coffee Shop)
At the moment Philip is working out at a local gym. This is one of his cultural encounter goals...to make contacts and build relationships with people at the gym!
Thanks for your prayers as we push forward in our ministries here!
Blessings,
Philip, Kara, Adalynn, and Gwen
wow. I'm impressed! can't you tell her you don't know much Russian? hahaha Gwen is ridic cute. I can't take it.
ReplyDeleteyou are so amazing! your willingness to witness is a wonderful thing! hope you enjoy your weekend! Cheri
ReplyDeleteSeriously...you are doing SOOO good. I can't believe your boldness, your Russian vocabulary already, and your determination to build relationships. Praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome! You're doing such a good job! The more you do it, the less stressful it will be!
ReplyDelete